Friday, November 19, 2010

Sauder Computer Desk in Dark Alder Finish


Desk Jockey Al writes:

We'll kick off this particular Desk Critique by informing everyone that this is our first official request, courtesy of my little sister Janina! When she moved to her UniTown, she moved sans desk; we did some computer shopping together and investigated local places only to find most desks in the area weren't exactly too hot. She got this after I left back for home. I've gotta say, she's got good taste. On top of the nice coloration (and it doesn't pretend that it's actually Dark Alder, take that, Bush Venture), it's a nice little working desk. Plenty of drawers to stash things in, a two-tier work surface- three if you count the keyboard drawer, and lots of little nooks. My only real problem is the CPU caddy: I've never liked the things, I think they get in the way of your legs too much. I'm one of those people that tend to sprawl out, so my CPU is always on the outside of my desk. Another word, though: keyboard drawers often break or don't work the way you'd like, so watch out, Janina.

Other things to consider: Way to go, Sauder. I don't mean that sarcastically. Not only is this little gem $170, but Sauder actually gives its dimensions and a nice blueprint on the website. Sometimes the intangibles go a long way.

Desk Jockey Daniel writes:

This is the desk that says, "I'm too cool for college," while fitting easily into a college dorm and a college budget. I Like This Desk. It's defiant, but not obnoxiously so. It's like, "I don't need a tattoo or a Mohawk to prove myself to you. In fact, I don't even need to wear contacts. I'm going to wear my glasses instead, because I'm smarter than you, and everyone knows it."

Despite its arrogant charm however, this desk is small, a unavoidable quandary which has filled me with emotional turmoil. I know that not everyone can have a big desk. But everyone should!

MACHISMO

DJAl: I'm really liking how it's rocking the multiple-tier look. Screams "multitasker" to me. It's small, compact, powerful, a little dynamo-desk; a person who owns this desk is aiming for more space in their corner office and wants you to know it. Unfortunately, however, this'll never be seen in a corner office for one reason: the multiple-tier look means you can't effectively look at someone on the other side. That means this is a desk for someone who's always got someone looking over their shoulder in an office environment. For home environment, fine, but... encouraging someone to stare over your shoulder is a definite knock to the machismo. -6-

DJDaniel: Look Sauder Computer Desk, you're a great desk, really, you are. I would be happy to have you as a friend's desk any day. And I know that you're going to make someone out there with short legs and good organization skills very happy. It's just that... I need a desk with depth, and height, and width. You understand. I knew you would. -5-

TIMELESSNESS

DJAl: When I look at this desk, I'm reminded of an accountant's desk. Namely, one of the accountants from Monty Python's Terry Gilliam's sketch, The Crimson Permanent Assurance. This look very... British, 19th century British accountant, almost something you'd expect Bob Cratchit to be huddled over in A Christmas Carol. Sure, it's a lot less ornamental and made of cheaper wood, but it looks classic enough for me. The only reason the score isn't higher is I'm wondering about the quality of the wood and how long it'd actually physically last. -7-

DJDaniel: It's uncanny; when I first laid eyes on that desk I thought exactly the same thoughts as DJAl. We're like two birds in a bush, plotting on how to disgrace and destroy the bird in hand. I shall give the desk an additional point in good faith. After all, it's the worker's responsibility to make sure such a beautiful yet tragically small desk does not decay. -8-

VERVE

DJAl: Multiple tiers? Several nooks and crannies? Nice little... I dunno, do you call it fluting?... on the legs? Sign me up. Points are detracted for the asymmetrical look due to the CPU caddy, but damn if that isn't an attractive desk. ... Man, why am I noticing the fluting on the legs? Does this mean... does this mean I'm... everything I know is a lie, EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE -7-

DJDaniel: Come come now, a real man can appreciate good fluting. Such delicate legs on this desk. I would give this desk to my daughter. Even if she was just coloring with crayons on it or writing in her anonymous online journal about her forbidden dreams of anthrocide at it, I know it would be enriching her life every single second. Oh my daughter, stay small and slight of frame, that you might sit at this desk forever. -7-

Final Rating = 6.7/10

Good taste, little sis!

No comments:

Post a Comment